Thomas Family Memorial Scholarship — $1000
The Thomas Family has established the Thomas Family Memorial Scholarship to be given annually to one deserving graduating Poquoson High School student. This scholarship was established to honor the life of Norris L. and Gibson Thomas, early pioneers in the development of the educational system in the Town and subsequently the City of Poquoson. Mrs. And Mrs. Thomas served in the role of Principal and Librarian respectively for a number of years. They and their family have long and distinguished careers in promoting educational opportunities for young people in their individual communities and therefore have chosen to recognize and encourage the further education of a graduating Poquoson High School senior student. The candidate for the scholarship will be one who exemplifies the character, desire, academic achievement, and leadership ability to pursue advanced studies at an accredited Associate or Bachelors Degree College or University or technical training at an approved Apprentice School.
Criteria for Award Selection
- Student must be a PHS senior accepted to enroll in a college, university or approved apprentice program.
- Student must have developed a plan for pursuit of a career goal.
- Student must have an outstanding academic record and be well-rounded in school and community activities.
- Student must provide at least one letter of recommendation from an adult attesting to knowledge of the candidate and his or her background to pursue advanced studies.
- Student must write a short essay (500 to 1000 words) outlining interests, experience, and future plans for pursuing your career goal.
- Student financial need will be considered.
Students may access applications via their Edline account.
Applications are due by 2:00 p.m. May 5, 2017.
Return to Scholarships homepage.